Last Friday while doing my weekly afternoon brainstorming for weekend cooking ideas, I began having a craving for a sweet breakfast treat. This is very unlike me, as I’m usually much more focused on egg-based breakfast dishes. But the nagging desire for some cinnamon and honey wouldn’t go away.
Not one to move away from savory flavors all together at breakfast time, I started thinking of ways that I could get some sweet and some savory into my weekend meal. Bacon, I thought. Bacon makes everything better. That’s when I remembered the bottle of bourbon sitting in our liquor cabinet and everything came together. Angels sang, doves flew out of heart-shaped boxes and the idea for these Bacon-Bourbon Cinnamon Rolls came to fruition.
But enough of my blabbing, make these already!
Here’s how you can make these in your kitchen:
- 1 3/4 cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil or ghee, softened
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey, softened
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
For the filling:
- 2 Tbsp. raw honey
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil or ghee
- 2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 2 strips bacon, crumbled
For the glaze:
- 1 Tbsp. coconut butter
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp bourbon
- 1-2 strips bacon, crumbled
1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, honey, vanilla and eggs.
3. In a large bowl, combine the almond flour, coconut flour and salt and mix until smooth.
4. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and knead the dough until it is smooth. (If the dough is too wet, you can add 1 tsp. coconut flour at a time until it reaches your desired consistency. Cool the dough in the fridge for about 15 minutes.)
5. Mix the coconut oil, honey, maple syrup and cinnamon together in small bowl and set aside for the filling.
6. Now it’s time to roll out the dough! Place the dough in between two sheets of parchment paper and use a rolling-pin to roll it out into a large rectangle. (You want the dough to be about 1/4 inch thick. Try to get the shape as close to a rectangle as possible, as this will make forming the rolls easier. You can even cut the dough and reshape it as needed.)
7. Drizzle the filling evenly over the dough, using a spoon or basting brush to spread it across the dough. Sprinkle two strips of crumbled bacon evenly over the filling (and more if you wish!).
8. Roll the dough, starting at one of the shorter ends, until it forms a log. Work slowly and make sure the dough does not crack. (I have found that using the bottom sheet of parchment paper to roll the dough works really well.)
9. Slice the dough log into 2-inch thick sections using a large chef knife. You should have about 7-9 rolls. Lay each piece (flat side down) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and press down slightly on the top to ensure the roll stays together while baking.
10. Bake 15-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned. (Mine took about 17 minutes.) Watch them closely– the more gooey the inside is, the better!
11. Let the rolls cool slightly before topping with the glaze. To make the glaze, combine the coconut butter, maple syrup and bourbon in a small bowl and mix to combine. (You may need to heat this slightly in the microwave to get it smooth.)
12. Drizzle the rolls with the glaze and top the rolls with the remaining two strips of crumbled bacon. THEN EAT THEM ALL!
These were seriously amazing, and would make a great addition to a Father’s Day brunch or basically any other morning meal. Try them out and let me know what you think!