I love a good paleo-friendly sauce. Sauces make everything better (much like bacon!), and can take a simple grilled or baked meat from a ho-hum meal to an amazing dish. I have a lot of sauce recipes on this site, from a traditional pesto to various hollandaise sauces, but I have to say that this latest sauce is my absolute favorite!
I was craving something creamy and savory last week when I came up with this latest sauce: Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pesto. This is super simple to make and includes an entire serving of veggies in the sauce alone! Put it on some zucchini noodles and you’ve got a super nutritious meal.
Here’s what you need to make this in your kitchen (makes 2-3 servings):
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 whole roasted red pepper (I used one out of a jar (a 7oz jar holds one pepper), but you could certainly roast your own!)
- 1/4 cup pesto sauce (you can use store-bought, or make your own. I have a recipe here.)
- (optional) 1-2 tsp arrowroot powder (more instructions below, but this ingredient may or may not be necessary)
1. Put the coconut milk and the red pepper into a small sauce pan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and allow to boil for about one minute. Remove the pan from the heat and turn the stove top town to medium.
2. Using an immersion blender, puree the pepper into the coconut milk until completely smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can pour the coconut milk and red pepper into a regular blender, blend it, and then return it to the pan.
3. Place the coconut milk and pepper mixture back onto the stove top over medium heat and allow to simmer for 5-10 minutes, reducing slightly. (Note: if your sauce seems too thin and does not reduce as much as you want, you can whisk in 1-2 tsp of arrowroot powder here. Arrowroot works the same as corn starch, and thickens sauces pretty quickly, so if you decide to add some, do it slowly!)
4. Once the sauce has reached your desired thickness, turn off the stove top, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the 1/4 cup pesto sauce. Mix until well-combined, then pour the sauce over your favorite vegetable noodles, meat or sautéed veggies (I also put this on eggs the next day and it was awesome).
5. EAT AND ENJOY!
We loved this sauce and will definitely be making it again! The coconut milk provides not only a dose of super healthy fats, but also adds a rich creaminess to the sauce. This can definitely satisfy any comfort food craving!
Let me know how this recipes works for you!